Sunday, February 22, 2015

Did You Hear about Pluto? That's Messed Up!

Whenever the subject of science comes up, the first thing I usually think of is the word science being said, or rather yelled, whether in my head or out loud, just like that one guy in the '80s new wave song "She Blinded Me with Science" by Thomas Dolby:

"SCIENCE!"

Like many other things that happened in the '80s, you had to be there.

Speaking of science, it was, by far, my weakest subject in school. Life Science gave us the chance to dissect earthworms and frogs, which should have been cool in theory but instead let me know I am nauseated by the smell of formaldehyde, as well as earthworm/frog insides. Things didn't get much easier in earth science and Biology, and by the time I took chemistry in the 11th grade, I was downright befuddled by half of the stuff I read and/or was tested on.

The thing is, though, as little as I understand about science, I sometimes feel like some scientists honestly don't understand much more about it than I do.

A couple of days ago, I came across an article online with the headline:

“Everything We Know about the Big Bang Could Be Wrong”

Sarcasm alert: And here I had put so much stock into the Big Bang. My day was ruined for about one-eighth of a second, and then I kept on scrolling.

I think also of the planet Pluto, formerly the non-planet Pluto, which had previously been a planet the first time I learned about it when I was an elementary school kid growing up in the '80s.

Like I said, you had to be there in the '80s, or it just wouldn't make much sense.

I don't say any of this to bring on an onslaught of "Oh yeah, well science gave us this and science gave us that, and here's a Snopes article on this thing, you nimrod, and science cured polio, blah blah blah." If science is "all that" to you and your world, then I say, congratulations. Science has done some great things, to be sure. It has, indeed, cured diseases and helped us understand a lot about how people and animals and things work, and made inventions, and I'm not disputing any of that.

It is not, however, an exact science. So to speak. There seems to be a lot of guesswork involved in which a best guess is simply accepted as fact. In another decade, Pluto could be reclassified an asteroid, or a comet, or a giant, floating space paperweight, or the result of a bowel movement shot into space by Jabba the Hutt thousands of years ago.

My recurring thought is simply this: I'm glad that real, powerful, everlasting truth does not change. By definition, it never has, never does, and never will. It is not altered nor modified when people change their minds, because it comes from God. And I'm grateful I know the places I can go to find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment