Thursday, January 19, 2017

'Twas the Night before Inauguration

This is one of those rare times I'm going to share a political message. Fortunately, it's a short one.

Tomorrow at 10:00 a.m. MST, just over nine hours from now, Donald J. Trump will be sworn in as the 45th president of the United States. Meanwhile, other people will just plain swear.

What am I going to do during the Trump years?

I'll try to do what I've done during every other president's administration during my lifetime: support him if/when he's right and oppose him if/when he's wrong.

I also realize he really couldn't care less whether I watch the ceremony on TV or if I boycott it. It won't ultimately matter whether I protest the election from here to Puerto Rico or run around like Chicken Little, shouting that the sky is falling. Even if I did watch the inauguration, I would mainly be looking out and praying for the two Apostles who will be attending the service and also for my friends in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and the Piano Guys (Steve was the editor of a publication I wrote for in college; Jon was my ward's high councilman) in their performances.

We had the chance to vote a couple of months ago. That is where my "say" in all of this ended. Regardless of who won, I knew then and know now that I would still look to Pres. Thomas S. Monson above anyone else on Earth for the guidance that I really need to help me in my day-to-day living.

What I can control now, however, is which kinds of contributions I make to my family, my workplace, my ward, my neighborhood, and my community. My attitude from here on out is 100 percent up to me. So is what I do about that attitude.

To quote the great Jason Mraz: "I won't worry my life away."

No comments:

Post a Comment