Tuesday, August 8, 2017

The Mish: The Guinea Pigs Reunite

When I received my mission call to serve in the PerĂº Lima Central Mission years ago, I had no idea at that moment in time that American missionaries had not been sent to the country for several years previously. When I read my letter, which was signed by President Howard W. Hunter, out loud, Dad even remarked, in disbelief, "No, they don't send 'em there!"

I came to learn that due to terrorism in the country, a couple of missionaries had been murdered in Peru, in the '80s, after which all American missionaries were shipped out to other lands. By the mid-'90s, however, Peru had taken control of the situation to the point the Church felt it was time to send Americans back. Indeed, I had received a correct call. Three other Americans and I were among the first group of four Americans headed to MPLC. Since that time, we've often joked that this was a test (it sort of was) to see how we would fare and to see whether or not we'd be killed by terrorists (it sort of wasn't; not really). Unofficially, we were the four guinea pigs.


Which is ironic in itself, because Peruvians eat guinea pigs (yes, you've been told correctly). It is a delicacy for the Peruvians, and it is called cuy.

With Bill Bay and his family in town from Florida, JB and I were invited to meet up at Mike Bryner's home in North Salt Lake to reminisce about old times and to catch up with each other's lives. The food (which included some of the best spare ribs I've ever eaten) was delectable. The company was equally as good.

I'm very grateful for my association with the three other cuys (the fourth, John Ure, is currently on the East coast) who pioneered the return of American missionaries to Peru, paving the way for several more to serve (and, eventually, sister missionaries) in the years that have followed. They helped me socially and spiritually in countless ways, as did the Peruvian missionaries and people with whom we had the privilege to associate.

No comments:

Post a Comment