Sunday, April 1, 2018

No Fooling

One of the last movies I saw in the theater before leaving on my mission (in case you've not been keeping up with Paco Nation, I'm old, folks), was Forrest Gump, and I went to see it with Mom. *SPOILER ALERT* After Jenny's death and the very somber ending, Mom turned to me as the credits began to roll and said, "I wish I could introduce them (presumably Forrest and Forrest Jr.) to the missionaries right at that moment."

This is just the kind of person Mom was and is. That's how her mind works.

Fast forward to earlier this week when, on my day off work, and while recovering from a bout of the Martian Death Flu, I watched the last few episodes of "Parenthood," a TV drama I did not watch when it originally ran on TV but which I've been following over the past few months on Netflix. In the final episode, which may be one of the all-around greatest TV episodes and finales ever produced, so many things wrapped around my heart like an anaconda, and I was bawling like a baby during the final 15 or 20 minutes. *SPOILER ALERT* What hit home most was (1) the grandfather/patriarch of the family passing away and (2) Sarah's and Hank's wedding, which was beautifully done. Most if not all of the main characters' (and even some of the supporting characters') story lines also wrapped up rather well in the process.

JB and I are in the middle of our own wedding preparations as I write this. So, of course, my brain goes there only several hundred times each day right now. It's getting real at this point. I picked up my suit just a few days ago. This is actually happening, I have to keep reminding myself. So, my heart was there with Sarah and Hank as they tied the knot.

Beyond that, though: As the four adult children and widow grieved for their departed father, I went mentally and spiritually where Mom went with the ending of Forrest Gump. Basically, I wanted to hug them and tell them: I've been where you've been. I've lost my father, too. I know your heartache. But I also know the peace, "which passeth all understanding," that only the gospel brings. This life is not the end. You can see him again!

I'm incredibly grateful for the gospel plan by which families can be sealed not for this life only but for eternity, as well, if we are faithful and give our whole souls to the great gospel plan. Because of it and because of our Savior's sacrifice, this incredible blessing is ours for the asking. And unlike the plots of both Forrest Gump and "Parenthood," this concept isn't just a neat story. It's not just something that makes me smile when I am down or a good idea. Though today is also April Fool's Day, it is most certainly no joke. It's everything! And it's what keeps me going day by day.

It being Easter Sunday, I'm reminded that Dad passed away last year just a few, short hours before the dawn of Easter morning 2017. Though it's not chronologically been a year yet, it was still last Easter, and this Easter brings with it memories of that sorrowful night. It also brings with it a reminder of the truly great gift the Savior gave to us all.

2 comments:

  1. *hugs* I know how you feel about near markers... my father passed April 5th, 2003, conference weekend.. so April conference is always a bit more... just "more" for me, even if it's not the exact right date... it's the bigger marker for the event... i'm so excited for your wedding though.. I am sure that your father will be there with you :)

    ReplyDelete