Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Our Dinner with the Aronis

Over the weekend, JB went with me down to the very smoke-filled city of Spanish Fork (due to all of the wildfires currently raging in the state) to visit some old friends of mine from Peru.

More than 22 years ago (jeepers, that's a long time), I served for 4½ months of my mission in the Barrio de Dios Branch, which later became the Villa UniĆ³n Ward, in the city of Cusco. During my time there, I became acquainted with the Aroni family: Hno. Armando and Hna. Epifania and their kids, including five-year-old Armandito.

Well, Armandito is all grown up now; he and his wife, Mariela, have a couple of kids of their own, and they recently moved to Utah on student visas. Armandito's mother is in town for a couple of weeks, and they were good enough to invite us down for dinner and to be reacquainted after many years. We also got to meet Hna. Epifania's two daughters, who had not been born yet when I was last in the area.


One of my favorite pieces of news: Armando (senior), after literally decades investigating the Church (including during the time I served in Barrio de Dios), was finally baptized just two years ago.

We were served a delicious dinner of lomo saltado, along with chicha morada (never a favorite, but nostalgia is what it is) and Inca Kola. Better than the food, though, it was good to see my old friends and to introduce JB to them. Time has been good to these good people.

No comments:

Post a Comment