Monday, April 15, 2019

The "Funereal Philosophy"

Well, as it turns out, April 15 is, to paraphrase President Franklin D. Roosevelt, a day which will live in infamy. On this calendar date, Abraham Lincoln died, the Titanic sank into the Atlantic Ocean, it's Tax Day, and, if you've been watching the news today, now unfortunately the day on which the great French Roman Catholic cathedral Notre Dame burned while all the world watched in deep sadness.

It is also the day that Dad left us---two years ago today.


In the 730 days that have transpired since then, I've learned some important lessons. Most importantly, I use the words I love you more often to those closest to me, and I am trying harder to mean what I say in both word and deed.

I recently read the biography of Elder Richard L. Evans (1906-1971) of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. In this book, he teaches: "There would be much more human happiness if some of the eulogies we offer after others are gone were uttered before they go. And there are many things we would be grateful we had done, if we wouldn't wait until we wish we hadn't waited. ... Don't save all those sweet songs and charitable thoughts and kindly words for funerals. Put a bit more of the 'funereal philosophy' into the living of life while there are still ears to hear and eyes to see and hearts to understand" ("Tell Him Now!", The Man and the Message, p. 294).

That's great advice, and something I am working on every day. Where I have erred, I will do better.

We love you and we miss you, Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment