Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Finding Nepo

As a joke, or maybe because she was in one of those moods, JB selected one of my Christmas playlists the other day when we were headed somewhere in my car. I'm great with that, though. I love Christmas time and Christmas music, and I also believe in the concept of celebrating Christmas in July, as some are wont to do.

Incidentally, JB and I began dating at Christmas time. (We are now closer to next Christmas than we are time-wise from last Christmas ... so, Yay! for that.)

Anyhow, Christmas also came to mind recently because I've been reading through the New Testament, which we've been studying this year in Sunday School. In Luke 2:7, it reads:

"And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn."

I italicize those two words in this well-known verse because this is the part that struck me differently this time through the New Testament: the concept that there was no room for Joseph and Mary and their baby, specifically, whereas there might have been room for other people instead. As in, they weren't good looking enough, or knew the right people, or whatever it may have been.

Upon doing a little research, I found a fascinating talk from then-future Apostle Jeffrey R. Holland, delivered in 1976, in which he said:

"One impression which has persisted with me recently is that this is a story---in profound paradox with our own times---that this is a story of intense poverty. I wonder if Luke did not have some special meaning when he wrote not 'there was no room in the inn' but specifically that there was no room for them in the inn.' (Luke 2:7; italics added.) We cannot be certain, but it is my guess that money could talk in those days as well as in our own. I think if Joseph and Mary had been people of influence or means, they would have found lodging even at that busy time of year.

"I have wondered if the Inspired Version also was suggesting they did not know the 'right people' in saying, 'There was none to give room for them in the inns.' (JST, Luke 2:7.)"

Here comes my segue, and hopefully somewhere my point: I despise nepotism, i.e. the practice among those with power or influence of favoring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs. I have encountered nepotism in every single place I have worked---and I can't think of a single exception. Having a friend in a high place, so to speak, has opened a window for me a couple of times; but never at the expense of someone else who deserved it. Nepotism has also burned me badly. Without going into details or dwelling too much on those instances, I have been passed up for promotions or jobs because others knew somebody and pulled those strings.

Odds are, so have you. You and I know that those wounds can cut deeply.

This is just to say that, considering all of the trials, difficulties, illnesses, and problems of ours that the Savior is able to comprehend, being treated poorly because of nepotism is among them, because He lived it. He understands, and He is able to take away that pain. I take great comfort in knowing that. It helps me to move forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment