Sunday, April 19, 2020

Bicentennial of the First Vision

At the most recent general conference of the Church two weeks ago, President Russell M. Nelson announced a new proclamation---the first one of its kind in 25 years. Drafted and signed by the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, it is only the sixth such proclamation issued in the history of the Restored Church.

The Restoration of the Fulness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ: A Bicentennial Proclamation to the World has been issued to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the First Vision of the Prophet Joseph Smith, which occurred sometime in the sping of 1820. This was the event that ushered in the Restoration of the Church and this, the dispensation of the fulness of times.


In Joseph Smith---History 1:33, the Prophet recorded that the angel Moroni told him, at the young age of 17, that "my name should be had for good and evil among all nations, kindreds, and tongues, or that it should be both good and evil spoken of among all people." This is certainly true. I've heard a lot of testimonies borne from both sides of that argument.

As for me, I will have and will speak of Joseph Smith's name only for good. Let me add my testimony here: I know without a doubt that this 14-year-old boy went into the woods to pray and saw the Father and the Son in vision about 200 years ago. I know that he was called to be a prophet, went on to translate the Book of Mormon by the gift and power of God, and thereafter restored priesthood authority and accomplished many other incredible feats, sealing his life and testimony with his own blood in 1844 at age 38.

I felt the Holy Spirit witness of the First Vision countless times as my companions and I related the story during my two-year missionary service for the Church. I observed in awe as it moved people to great happiness and tears and caused them to change their very lives. The story of the First Vision holds such incredible power because it happens to be true, and the Restoration it started continues to roll forth unto the ends of the Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment