Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Everybody Loves a Clown, So Why Don't You?

Not long ago, a friend of mine asked me a question that caught me a little off guard. I don't remember his exact phrasing, but his inquiry went something like this: "You and the other guys in your troupe are pretty funny! I'll bet you all get tons of dates and are very popular with the ladies. A lot more than us regular guys do, don't you?"

After having a good chuckle until little snot bubbles emerged from my nostrils, I told him that no, we improvisers don't really have any secret advantage nor any extra special brownie points earned in the dating department.

As a matter of fact, I have dated girls who have actually confessed to me that they felt like they had wasted their entire evening by attending one of our shows, while others have attended a performance and then never spoken to me again. Another girl I dated came to a grand total of two shows over the course of our seven-month relationship, essentially demonstrating that she felt no different from the ones who felt like they had wasted their time.

I also recently learned that the FHE Committee in the ward surveyed my fellow ward members to ask what types of events they'd like to see scheduled as upcoming Monday night activities. One anonymous responder didn't suggest any activities he/she would like to see but, rather, wrote in big bold letters:

NO MORE IMPROVABLES!

Cruel, but honest.

No, my well-intentioned friend, there is no improvisers' privilege in the dating area. Like everybody else, we bleed if you prick us. We give our all on the stage and at workshops, but in the dating arena, we wonder about the future, feel doubt, heartbreak, and disappointment, and above all, we are just trying to figure things out as best as we can. Ultimately, we hope for and give the best we have, one date at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment