Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Issued Warnings

Twenty-three years, seven months, and eight days.

According to my estimation, that's how long I had been driving before being pulled over for the first time ever by a Bountiful City policeman Sunday while on the way to church.

My crime? I wasn't wearing my seatbelt.

I saw the lights flash in my rearview mirror, realized I had failed to buckle up in my rush to get where I was going early (seats in the chapel are becoming harder and harder to come by as the Island of Misfit Toys expandsnow with nearly 600 members!), and I instantly knew that I was toast.

Well, it was a good run while it lasted.

Fortunately, the officerOfficer Plowman! (no relation)was very kind and let me go with just a warning. My record of driving without a moving violation remains intact. Along with the warning, he gave me a very educational pamphlet with some harrowing data.

"If you or anyone in your vehicle aren't properly restrained," it read, "you can be issued a $45 citation."

The possibility of a fine sure gets your attention. But how about these statistics, which were also included:

"During the last five years, nearly half of fatalities on Utah's roads were unbuckled."
"Three out of four people ejected from the car in an accident perish."
"When the driver is belted, 87% of children also ride with a seatbelt. Be an example and buckle up."

Thank goodness for the warning. "It won't happen again, Officer," I assured him.

Then, as I went on my way and drove the rest of the distance to church, the thought that occurred to me was this: It's good to have warnings given, or else far-worse consequences are in store for ignoring the law or repeated violations. The consequences could be dire, indeed. My not wearing a seatbelt doesn't affect only me; it could be dangerous to others, as well.

Consider an oft-ignored or ridiculed warning such as this:


"We warn that individuals who violate covenants of chastity, who abuse spouse or offspring, or who fail to fulfill family responsibilities will one day stand accountable before God. Further, we warn that the disintegration of the family will bring upon individuals, communities, and nations the calamities foretold by ancient and modern prophets."

What a blessing it is to have prophets, seers, and revelators who can see the storms, both ongoing and forthcoming, and who warn us accordingly. They do so not to limit our choices or to have power or control over us but, because they both know that ultimate happiness is impossible through sin (see Alma 41:10) and they can see what is coming, they do so out of love and genuine, Christlike concern for all of God's children.

To ignore such a warning—well, the consequences could be dire, indeed.

2 comments: