Tuesday, August 11, 2015

That "Other" Book of Mormon Musical

Over the weekend, I had the chance to go and see the Book of Mormon musical.

No, not The Book of Mormon Musical, but rather Nephi & the Sword of Laban, which is based on (the horror!) a story from the pages of the actual Book of Mormon.

Covering 1 Nephi and 2 Nephi while also omitting the Isaiah chapters of the latter book, this production was a noble effort to tell the faith-promoting spiritual and physical journey of Nephi and his family from Jerusalem to the New World. Admittedly, there were moments that reminded me of both the cheesiness of Saturday's Warrior as well as the purposefully cheesy Waiting for Guffman.

Nevertheless, the story flowed well, the songs were composed and performed with heart, and the cast put on an admirable performance. It was way better than that "other" musical.

But you haven't even seen that "other" musical, you say.

No, I haven't seen it. I don't want to, and I don't need to to know that it's pure garbage. I know from the other productions of the show's "creative" team that I don't like their humor in the least. I don't find "anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy" about the show (Articles of Faith 1:13). Quite frankly, I'm baffled by those of my faith who think it's all that and a bag of chips.

Well, to each his own.

Naturally, Nephi & the Sword of Laban was also way better than Cats.

No comments:

Post a Comment