Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Words with Friends

Every so often, I open my mouth to say something, and then several other somethings come pouring out in rapid succession, and before I realize what I've done, a whole lot of ugliness has spilled out. This is not unlike a situation in which, say, the EPA, in its wisdom, were to "protect" the environment by spilling toxic waste into Colorado's Animas River.

Which the EPA would never do.

When you've had "words with friends," so to speak, the damage is often very difficult to clean up or repair. And even when you feel like you've done all you can possibly do to make amends, some scars and distrust nevertheless remain.

Long story short: A good friend and I got into a heated discussion last week, and this occurred online. So, naturally, I said some stupid things I wouldn't have the gumption to say to his face because, hey, I felt like he had done the same to me.

To social media: the cause of and solution to all of life's problems!
#ShareBadness

When it comes to hurt feelings between friends, usually one of two things happens: Those people never speak to each other again, or they ultimately end up deciding that they value the other person's friendship far above whatever petty difference(s) may have driven a wedge between them and make amends, no matter who's at fault or whose pride has been wounded more.

I am fortunate enough to say that the latter was the case with my friend and me. After talking things out for more than two hours over burgers and ice cream at McDonald's, like real men do, we hugged it out and agreed to let bygones be bygones. I'm grateful that this person had the greatness of character not only to do this but also to tell me some things about myself that I needed to hear, whether or not I wanted to hear them, so that I can be a better friend to him and to others in our social circle in the future. It's always a good idea to get both sides of the story.

In fact, I'd even dare say that our friendship is now stronger not because of our disagreement but because we bounced back from it.

And that made for a happy meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment