Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Timing: Four Years Later

About four years ago, when I was still stranded on the Island of Misfit Toys, one of the counselors in the bishopric called me to be the ward Sunday School president. The only thing is ... life got in the way. I was in the middle of some serious health problems, and I was unable to accept the calling.

If any of this sounds familiar, it's because I actually blogged about this experience here on Paco Nation. If you have a few more minutes to kill, you can read all about it here.

The point of this is not to rehash said experience; it's, in fact, to relate the fact that there is ... a little bit more to the story.

Bro. Hill assured me back then that the calling was always right; the timing perhaps wasn't. As of just a few months ago, it turns out that he was 100 percent correct. Whatever the timing may have been on it, the bishop recently called yours truly to be the new ward Sunday School president.

I have held a lot of callings and have served in a lot of Church positions over the years, but I haven't been a president of anything since I was a deacons quorum president over 30 years ago. (Yes, Paco is getting old. Don't look so shocked, in spite of his baby face.)

This is somewhat unfamiliar territory for me, but it's been great. I have wonderful counselors and a secretary to help me. Beyond that, I'm just sort of showing up and figuring out the rest. It's an exciting time to be involved with the Sunday School program and to see how the Come, Follow Me program is blessing families and individuals in our ward. I also get to go to ward council meetings every Sunday morning for a half-hour to try to feel useful.


This experience was a gentle reminder from a loving Heavenly Father that His promises do come to pass and that His chosen servants are truly inspired, both at the worldwide level as well as the local/ward level. I can't wait to see what else the future may hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment