Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Hims of the Church

It's not you; it's a lack of hims. Really.

Perhaps you've read or heard about a recent article in Time magazine in which it is asserted that the LDS Church is undergoing a "dating" or a "marriage crisis," and this is because "women are in oversupply." Because "there are now 150 women for every 100 Mormon men in the state of Utah," "heterosexual men are more likely to play the field, and heterosexual women must compete for men's attention." The article even goes on to claim that several of these women are resorting to plastic surgery in order to compete and make themselves stand out from their peers.

"Yes, Mormon men take full advantage." Claims one interviewee, "'They wait for the next, more perfect woman.'"

Another woman interviewed stated that several friends "wound up marrying outside the religion . . . simply because they had no other options," while other friends, "all good LDS girls! . . . gave up on finding a husband and decided to have children on their own."

One female who commented on the post said she is LDS and that where she lives "the men here ARE lazy both outside and inside of the church."

You must certainly get a lot of dates with the perception that 100% of your potential dating partners are lazy, sister, I thought to myself. It must certainly make them feel good about themselves and then want to take you out.

Yet another said, "For men, there are so many choices that choices are not made."

I wish this data made me feel better. In theory, it would lead me to believe that, statistically, all I need to do is show up on Sunday, walk into the chapel, and the aisles of the Island of Misfit Toys, within a matter of minutes, ought to be strewn with piles of the bodies of women clawing each other's eyes out for the right to become the future Mrs. Paco Nation.

"Ought" to. But it does not make me feel better about myself. Not at all, honestly. Because I'm trying, even as imperfect as I am. I'm making a conscious effort to meet people in my ward, even when it is out of my comfort zone. People think that because I do improv I don't have any comfort zone when it comes to meeting the opposite sex, but I can assure you, that comfort zone is quite small indeed.

I'm dating girls in my very large ward. Not one in particular for the moment, but different ones. And the results are . . . mixed. And yes, I realize that if you interviewed the girls I have asked out, they might give you the same reply about me. They might express frustration at some of my habits or tendencies or any other number of issues that make me less than perfect. I know I have them, and I am working on them. Yet the whole difficult process makes me as frustrated as the women interviewed for this article.

Another issue the article brings up: "Maybe it's the women who are holding out for the Mormon or Jewish George Clooney?"

You know, a good, temple recommend-holding guy with muscles and a jeep, who also stars in crappy Batman movies and bobs his head a lot.

I realize there is frustration among the sisters, but the brethren, I can assure you, are frustrated, too, albeit for different reasons. Men read articles like these (or sometimes get it from the priesthood session of general conference) and tend to walk away with the perception that all women are perfectly prioritized and are just dying to get married, while men are responsibility-avoiding, lollygagging, basement-dwelling morons and losers.

It's always good to get both sides of the issue, whatever the issue may be. And I think it's very important to remember that there can be two extremes on this particular issue: one believing that all available LDS men are lazy, uninspired, or self-important baboons, with perhaps the other claiming that all available LDS women are far too careful, choosy, aloof, and judgmental once they hit their 30s.

The truth, I think, lies somewhere in between these extremes. Generalities or stereotypes rarely help anybody. I think it boils down to finding just one good, honest, kind LDS man or woman who is doing his or her best and with whom you enjoy spending time, in spite of the incorrect stereotypes about either gender.

Personally, I'm not looking for perfection. I'm not trying to play any field. I'm not attempting to take "full advantage" of anyone, no matter what Time magazine may assert. I am making choices, even with so many choices available. I'd be happy with just one woman competing for my attention, because she wants to (and not because she has no other options). I'm really just looking for someone who can put up with me for a few hours every few nights, and also who doesn't mind the feel of facial hair on her face every now and then. I don't ask for much.

Is there a crisis? It may depend on whom you ask. Let's just not make things harder than they have to be.

6 comments:

  1. As always, well said! Gotta put my two cents in. And then link to this article on my own "dating" blog. :-) For me the introvert, I have exhausted myself in the last 2 years putting myself completely out of my comfort zone every time. Dates have occurred. With my record of 0 before, I had an increase of about 2000%, though more than half of those I had to do the asking which is completely against my nature and for me, socially wrong. But I had set goals because I'd like to get out there to get to know people better, try to make them feel good, and to practice my own skills. I'm not going on first, second, or sometimes third dates because I want to marry the guy. I'm going because I want to have fun and if I start to feel more of a connection as a guy, great--let's see where it goes! I've had to set goals in relation to dating and the only way for me to meet the goals was to ask the guys since they weren't asking as much. I've been grateful for the experiences, but I would have preferred not having the awkwardness or the feeling that I'm not attractive to men that accompany it. But it is what it is, whether it is a "shortage of men" or me looking or behaving that I am unattractive and repelling possible dates. I'm a work in progress. Even if I'm in a burned out slump right now, I'm grateful for how much experience and growth I've had in the two years. You're a fun guy from an awesome family; and I think I'm that too (except I'ma girl!)--we're gonna get there. One day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think you have exactly the right attitude about everything. It's tough to be grateful for trying experiences or during slumps, but I think it's great you're looking at things glass-half-full and are realizing the growth that has occurred. Good luck with the dating blog. I will be following.

      Delete
  2. Alright Paco,
    I actually found your link through a friends FB page. I do agree with you, the stereotypes do no one good. For those of us single in our 30's, I believe the problem is in that we were sold a bill of goods growing up. A bill of goods that is just plain not a reality anymore. It was the application of 50's social values applied to 21 century economic situation and values. Which absolutely doesn't work in my mind.
    Recently, I've been dating quite a bit as well. My experience has probably to do more with me than them. I haven't found them to be picky, but actually appallingly less so. So, much that it is kind of unattractive. When going out with a woman in her 30's, I expect her to have an opinion on something, or anything. However, when asking any question for "I've come up with 3 activities, tell me what you want to do." or "do you have any questions to make certain I'm no psycho killer?" I actually get a surprising lack of response. That either they are too intimidated to make a choice, or legitimately have no opinion on the matter. Then, in essence all I am is just a Y chromosome that can give them a baby. Which is absolutely an ideal I don't aspire to. It also makes me uninterested at that point.
    Now, unfortunately, I believe the churches stance is that all I am is just a Y chromosome and should marry her and give her a baby. A stance that I find just doesn't really sit well with me. Dating should be fun, and maybe I'm just burned out. I guess maybe we need an education plan and some things in the church for those of us whom, while out on dates, count the minutes till they're over with? I don't know, but I think as an LDS culture, we really need to look outside of the norm to find a solution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spacecat, thanks for your comment. In all honesty, I'd like to see a Time magazine article now in which the male side of the story is presented, and I think you have some valuable input from your own experiences. I support the idea of some sort of education plan being developed. I'd buy that for a dollar.

      Delete
  3. Amen to all that was said. I'm no expert, but know that dating takes effort and I'm lacking in some areas. Perception and culture seem to be getting in the way of people meeting the right person. Hopefully things will change, but if not then here's hoping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many unnecessary distractions, right? Thank you for your comment.

      Delete